Can Dogs Eat Celery

Can Dogs Eat Celery

Can Dogs Eat Celery: If you have ever wondered whether it is safe to feed celery to your dog, you are not alone. Vegetables can be a healthy treat for dogs, but not all vegetables are safe for dogs to eat. This is why it is always important to do a little research before feeding any “people” food to your dog. Many dog ​​owners give their dogs carrot sticks as a safe, crunchy, low-calorie snack, but what about celery? Is it safe for people to feed dogs?

Although a dog’s diet should be fairly heavy in meat, dogs are technically omnivores, which means they can eat and digest nutrients from both animals and plants. This should come as no surprise to the fact that most commercial dog foods contain not only meat, but also plant material, including grains such as rice and corn, starches such as potatoes and green peas, and many types of fruit. and vegetables are included. Many dogs enjoy eating fruits and vegetables as a special treat.

Celery is one of many vegetables that are safe to feed to dogs in moderation. Not all dogs like to eat celery, but if your dog enjoys the crunchy texture of raw carrots or apples , he might enjoy munch on some celery too. Read on to learn more about the health benefits of celery and how to safely incorporate celery into your dog’s diet.

benefits of celery for dogs

Celery also contains vitamins A, C and K, as well as folate and potassium. Celery is fat free, high in fiber and very low in calories, which makes it an excellent treat for overweight dogs. A medium-sized stalk (about 7 to 8 inches long) of celery has less than 6 calories. Crunching on celery is good for your dog’s teeth and gums, can even help freshen your dog’s breath.

potential health concerns

Ajwain is a diuretic- something that causes the body to remove water from the body. If your dog eats too much celery, it can cause him to urinate more than usual. If dogs eat too much celery (or too much of any vegetable), it can cause gastrointestinal upset, including gas, abdominal bloating, nausea, vomiting and diarrhea. Lastly, since dogs do not digest raw vegetables well, problems can occur if the dog swallows large portions of celery whole.

What Kind of Celery Can Dogs Eat?

Dogs can eat celery raw or cooked. Whether you choose to eat your dog raw celery or cooked celery depends on what you are hoping to get out of feeding your dog this vegetable. Because dogs cannot digest raw vegetables as well as people, your dog will not be able to absorb many of the nutrients from whole, raw celery. If you want your dog to absorb the vitamins and minerals, you can feed cooked celery or you can crush raw celery in a blender or even juice celery in a juicer and treat your dog to it. You can put liquid on regular meals. If you want to use celery as a low-calorie, crunchy snack that can help freshen your dog’s breath, then feed him whole, raw celery.

Safe Ways to Feed Celery to Your Dog

As with what you feed your dog while you feed your dog, moderation is key. Any celery should be given as a treat or topper to your dog’s regular diet, and should not be a substitute for their well-balanced diet. As with all treats, celery should make up less than 10% of your dog’s entire diet (the remaining 90% should be a regular, well-balanced diet).

Try offering a full stalk of celery to your dog and eat it (for smaller dogs, start by offering half a stalk of celery or less). If your dog tries to swallow pieces of celery that are too large, cut the celery stalks into smaller pieces before giving them. If your dog gets an upset stomach when eating celery (for example, gas, bloating, diarrhea, nausea or vomiting), avoid feeding him celery and replace it with a different crunchy food such as a bite-sized apple. Or it’s easier on his stomach.

Article Source

Spruce Pets uses only high quality sources, including peer-reviewed studies, to support the facts in our articles.

Nancy Nancy

Learn More →

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *