Let us know the White discharge before period. Most women experience different types of discharge at the time of their menstrual cycle. Sometimes it is thick, thin, odorless mucus, sometimes it can be from white to brown in color. Discharge of different colors and textures is associated with hormones. This discharge is white in color before menstruation.
Today in this article you will know about white discharge before period.
What is white water coming?
White discharge that appears before menstruation is called leucorrhoea. It is filled with fluid and cells, which protrude from the vagina and can be light yellow at times. This part of the menstrual cycle is called the luteal phase. This occurs when the progesterone hormone is at its peak in the body. When estrogen is the main hormone, the discharge becomes transparent, stretchy or watery. At the same time, progesterone makes the mucus clotted or white in color.
Some women use the discharge to achieve potential fertility. Thinly stretched mucus is considered fertile because it occurs when eggs are released. Thick white discharge is considered to be infertile cervical mucus. It appears between ovulation and the early stages of menstruation, when the chances of fertility are negligible. Irrespective of the color or texture of the discharge, it keeps the tissue in the vagina healthy and lubricated. Unless the discharge is accompanied by symptoms such as pain, itching or redness, it is considered normal.
What causes white discharge?
Premenstrual white discharge can have possible causes such as sexually transmitted infections and candidiasis. Let us know in detail about the cause of white discharge-
Normal reproductive system functioning
It is a normal process to have white discharge before the menstrual cycle. Normal discharge at this stage of the menstrual cycle is sometimes called “egg white mucus” because of its thin, stretchy and slippery texture. There is no odor in this discharge.
Taking medicines like birth control can alter hormone levels, which can lead to more discharge. Unless other symptoms are seen, it should not be taken seriously.
Discharge immediately before menstruation can be an early symptom of pregnancy. Although it is difficult to tell about the discharge due to pregnancy, it is thicker and creamier than normal discharge.
Sexually transmitted infection
Gonorrhea, Chlamydia and Trichomonas are sexually transmitted infections that cause discharge. In the case of gonorrhea or chlamydia, the color of the discharge is more yellow and the texture is like pus. However, these STIs are often asymptomatic. Symptoms of Trichomonas are more likely to appear, in which the color of the discharge can be light green or yellowish, smelly and itchy.
yeast infection ie candidiasis
Yeast infection is common and can happen without any reason. The use of antibiotics increases the risk of yeast infections and is more likely to occur just before menstruation. The discharge from yeast infection is thick and white in color and it usually looks like cottage cheese. Yeast infection can also cause itching and burning in the vagina.
Infection that occurs when the natural balance of bacteria in the vagina changes is called bacterial vaginosis. Its cause is unknown, but it is linked to smoking, post-sex cleansing, new sexual partners, and multiple sexual partners. The discharge from bacterial vaginosis has a strange odor and is grayish-white in color.
Precautions to be taken for white discharge
A healthy vaginal environment can be ensured by making some lifestyle changes at the time of white discharge. To do this, it is advisable to wear breathable cotton underwear to consume probiotic supplements. Let us know about the precautions to be taken for white discharge in detail-
- The external genital area should be kept clean and dry to avoid the odor and bacteria coming from the vagina.
- Breathable cotton underwear should be worn instead of tight and synthetic underwear, because wearing tight and synthetic clothes increases the risk of vaginal infection.
- On days when vaginal discharge is heavy, with the help of pantyliner, an attempt can be made to stop excess moisture and discomfort can be avoided.
- Always wipe from front to back after using the toilet to prevent the spread of bacteria from the anus to the vagina.
- It is advised to avoid scented wipes, vaginal deodorants or bubble bath, as they can cause irritation.
- Research suggests that women’s vaginal health remains healthy by consuming probiotic supplements. For this, along with yogurt, other probiotic supplements can be consumed.
- Condoms should always be used to protect against sexually transmitted infections.
When is white discharge a cause for concern?
Sometimes white discharge brings a signal of poor health. For example, if there is itching along with thick white discharge, then it means yeast infection. If the color of the discharge is yellow, green or grayish white, then it could be bacterial vaginosis.
When to see the doctor?
White discharge before menstruation can be completely normal. It does not require any treatment. But it is advisable to visit a doctor in the following cases-
- 3 out of 4 women experience yeast infection in their lifetime. This infection can be cured at home, but if the symptoms are not going away even after 1 week, then it is important to visit the doctor.
- If you feel pain, burning or any other kind of discomfort in the vagina, then you should also consult a doctor.
- Cottage cheese or frothy-textured discharge can give a hint of health disturbances.
- It is advisable to see a specialist even if there is an odor, redness or swelling coming from the vagina.
White discharge that occurs just before menstruation is a normal part of the menstrual cycle. However, every woman experiences a vaginal infection at some point or the other, hence, any changes in the discharge should be taken into account. Most of these infections can be cured with the help of a doctor.