Can Dogs Eat Cherries

Can Dogs Eat Cherries

Let’s know about Can Dogs Eat Cherries. Rich in nutrients like vitamins A and C, fiber, antioxidants, and melatonin, cherries are a sweet summer treat. But are these delicious, nutritious fruits safe to share with our pets?

While many summer fruits are healthy, refreshing, and safe to share with our four-legged friends, and cherries do contain some beneficial nutrients, they can unfortunately do more harm than good for dogs. What treats are right for your dog?

Can Dogs Eat Cherries
Can Dogs Eat Cherries

Are Cherries Safe for Dogs?

When it comes to cherries, while the flesh isn’t a must for our four-legged friends, they should only be offered with extreme caution. And that’s mainly because cherries come with an inherent danger to our pets—the pits, stems, and leaves contain cyanide. This is true for all cherry varieties, including Bing, Rainier and Black Cherry.

Cyanide is toxic to pets and humans alike, and can be potentially fatal if consumed in large amounts. So while dogs can eat unprocessed cherries in small amounts, they must be carefully prepared to ensure that the pits, stems and leaves are completely removed.

Pet owners should also be hesitant to offer their dogs any cherry-flavored foods, as they are typically loaded with artificial flavors, chemicals, and sugar. In fact, even foods that are naturally flavored with real cherries will often contain quite a bit of added sugar.

As far as potential health benefits, while cherries have been linked to everything from blood sugar control to high blood pressure and even pain relief, unfortunately it takes a dog to consume a few cherries to reap these benefits. And that’s when the risk exceeds the benefit. And, of course, you always want to check with your veterinarian before offering your food (or any other human food) to your pet.

The dangers of cherries for dogs

Along with the risk of cyanide poisoning , the cherry pits themselves also pose a risk of intestinal blockages, as they can easily become trapped in a dog’s digestive tract (which is life-threatening and may require surgery). This is especially true of smaller breeds, which are more susceptible to blockages from a small cherry pit. Pet owners should also be aware that puppies can be more susceptible to both blockages and cyanide poisoning, so take special care when offering cherries or any other human food to a puppy.

Of course, there are some cherries that are pitless, like the super sweet Maraschino Cherry (the kind you’ll often find in drinks). The problem with these cherries – as well as all canned, processed fruits – is not so much but the amount of added sugar that is used to sweeten them. The short-term dangers of too much sugar for dogs range from hyperactivity to abdominal discomfort, diarrhea , over time causing more serious conditions such as pancreatitis, diabetes, and obesity.

In general, if you want to share some fruit with your dog this summer, stick with safe staples like blueberries or watermelon (and, as always, keep an eye on Rover’s portion sizes). If offering fruit with the pit, always be sure to only offer the meat—even if the pit doesn’t contain cyanide, there is always a risk of intestinal blockages.

What to do if your dog eats whole cherries

If your dog happens to swallow a whole cherry when you’re not looking, there’s no need to panic right away. One cherry pit would not be enough to cause cyanide poisoning. However, there is still a risk of an intestinal blockage, so you want to be sure to monitor your pooch for at least 24 hours, looking for symptoms such as vomiting, constipation, or loss of appetite and decreased appetite output. . Symptoms of acute cyanide poisoning can present themselves within 15 to 20 minutes after consuming cherries.

However, if your dog has rejected many cherries, that is when you should call your veterinarian and watch them for signs of cyanide poisoning, which can include rings that are bright red in color. Can include, difficult breathing and dilated pupils. In more severe cases, your dog may go into shock. All these symptoms require immediate veterinary attention. Your vet can determine that the best course of action is to induce vomiting, which can help prevent cyanide poisoning.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.